poppy field

West Felton



As a result of a high-profile campaign conducted by The Royal British Legion the principles of the Armed Forces Covenant were contained in the Armed Forces Act 2011. 

In April 2013 The Shropshire Community Covenant was launched. Community covenants complement, at a local level, the armed forces covenant. The aim of Shropshire Community Covenant is to encourage local communities to support the service community here in Shropshire and promote understanding and awareness among the public of issues affecting the armed forces community. The aims of the community covenant are to:

  • encourage communities to support the armed forces community in their areas
  • nurture public understanding and awareness among the public of issues affecting the armed forces community
  • recognise and remember the sacrifices faced by the armed forces community
  • encourage activities which help to integrate the armed forces community into local life,
  • to encourage the armed forces community to help and support the wider community, whether through participation in events and joint projects, or other forms of engagement.   http://shropshire.gov.uk/shropshire-council/shropshire-armed-forces-community-covenant/


The Armed Forces Covenant

is An Enduring Covenant Between The People of the United Kingdom, Her Majesty’s Government – and – All those who serve or have served in the Armed Forces of the Crown And their Families


For VETERANS - How can the Armed Forces Covenant help me?

The Armed Forces Covenant sets out the relationship between the Armed Forces and the Nation and aims to recognise the Service you gave and the sacrifices you were prepared to make. Put simply, it is designed to make sure you can access the services like health and housing without facing any disadvantage from your career in the Armed Forces. if you would like to find out more, you can access the full report, The Armed Forces Covenant: Today and Tomorrow, at https://www.gov.uk/armed-forces-community-covenant


• If you have a medical condition as a result of your time in service you should receive priority NHS treatment (subject to clinical need). Therefore it is crucial to tell your doctor you are a Veteran.

For more information: You can find out more about military healthcare at the Department of Health website: www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Militaryhealthcare/Pages/Overview.aspx


• You can use the Enhanced Learning Credits (ELC) you built up during service to fund education for up to 10 years after leaving the Armed Forces.

• This funding can also be used if you are interested in taking part in the Department for Education’s Troops to Teachers scheme.

For more information:

• For information about ELCs and to find out if you qualify, you can contact:www.enhancedlearningcredits.com/ email: elcas@uk.g4s.com, tel: 01684 864 157.

• For more information about a career in teaching see: www.education.gov.uk/get-into-teaching/troops-to-teachers?keywords=Troops


• You will continue to have the highest level of priority for Affordable Housing for a further 12 months post-discharge.

• Legislation exists to make sure Service leavers are on an equal footing with civilians.

For more information:

• You can contact the Joint Service Housing Advice Office: https://www.gov.uk/housing-for-service-personnel-and-families email: lf-jshao-mailbox@mod.uk, telephone: 01980 618 925

Tax and benefits

• If you were injured in service you may be able to access compensation payments under the War Pension Scheme and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS).

• A list of wider potential benefits available to AFCS recipients along with contact details on how to get help with tax and benefits related to AFCS is available here: http://www.veterans-uk.info/pensions/afcs_claim.html

Further help is available on Support after service - Contact Veterans UK on telephone: 0800 169 2277 or at http://www.veterans-uk.info/


The Career Transition Partnership (CTP) provides a no-cost resettlement service for people leaving the Armed Forces. It provides job finding and other employment support services for two years after discharge. https://www.ctp.org.uk/

Problems and complaints - Veterans-UK gives advice on how to resolve issues you have. They can help you direct your query or complaint to the right people.

• Contact Veterans UK on www.veterans-uk.info, telephone: 0800 169 2277

 Where can I get more help?

This information is from an MOD leaflet aimed at Veterans, the full leaflet can be read at the link below, and there are two others aimed at Armed Forces Families and Serving personnel you may wish to read at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-nations-commitment-what-does-the-covenant-mean-for-you

West Felton Branch of The Royal British Legion will also be delighted to help - Please phone 01691 659987.