poppy field


Following the 1914-1918 War, returning Veterans local to the Rayleigh area formed an Old Comrades Association.

In 1920, a local family donated the land to the People of Rayleigh for the purpose of a War Memorial. The funds for this were raised by public donation. 

In 1921/1922, it was decided that a War Memorial Hall should be built with the names of the fallen inscribed on the outside wall for all time.

Nationally at this time, the Regimental Associations formed into the British Legion to bring more weight to encourage the Government to provide support for the Veterans.

Soon, the Memorial Hall in Rayleigh was completed, which at this time was formed of wooden huts.

Progressively over the last 90 years, the buildings have been altered, replaced and upgraded until we have been left with the building we have today. The Memorial Wall still stands, albeit with minor changes, and every year for Armistice and Remembrance Sunday, a memorial service is held in front of the wall, and wreaths are placed upon it in remembrance of those people whose names adorn the plaques.


We are currently trying to source pictures of the original Hall - we hope to have these online soon