Welcome to the Minchinhampton Branch of The Royal British Legion
In early 1919 Minchinhampton formed the "Comrades of the Great War Club" and later they moved into 11 High Street Minchinhampton and became the "Comrades Club". On 28 August 1921 the Comrades came under the patronage of the newly formed British Legion,
and the Club title changed from that date. The British Legion Club was formed under the Chairmanship of the Old Comrades commandant Brigadier General W.H. Fasken.
During the Second World War, the British Legion Club was opened up to admit members of HM forces, either on leave or stationed locally. It also became the HQ of the local unit of the Home Guard. In addition The Legion operated a Welcome Home Fund for all returning
servicemen of the district.
In 1946 the British Legion Club made an offer for the premises and also agreed to open the Membership to all men over the age of 18 in the district. On formation of the New Club, The
British Legion Club would cease to exist after 25 years of operation but The Minchinhampton Branch of the British Legion would have the right of a convenient room free of charge once a week within the new Minchinhampton Club. This would be regarded as the Official Headquarters of The Minchinhampton Branch in which to conduct its business and other activities, with rights to transfer part of these privileges to the Women's Section when formed; (the Women's Section was formed in July 1949).
Click link to see Copy of the Agreement and for a fuller account see more>
Roll of Honour
On 9 September 1924 the Club was presented with a "Roll of Honour" Book naming all the victims of the Great War from Minchinhampton. In 1991 the Branch donated this book to the Minchinhampton Historical Society, to preserve it for posterity. It is now held by the Minchinhampton Parish Council for safe keeping.