Welcome to the Shaftesbury and District Branch of The Royal British Legion
Below is a list of dates for your diary on what's happening in the Shaftesbury and District Branch of The Royal British Legion. Also keep an eye on our two notice boards in the town - outside Jean's sweet shop in Bell Street, and opposite the GPO in Angel Lane.
Updated 13 August 2021
The April 2021
Newsletter of the Shaftesbury & District Branch Royal British Legion. Next edition is due in October 2021.
The Legion Hall in Coppice Street will reopen on 30- August for our own events - including Thursday coffee mornings, presentations and Poppy Appeal bingo, and for the use of our fourteen User Groups.
Our Touchpoint, in response to cases of beneficiaries' needs will continue in the Hall. If any beneficiary requires help of any kind, they should ring the Chairman on 01747 854765. He has the contact telephone numbers and email addresses of all the Legion professionals we may call upon for help well beyond our branch resources. We are able to invoke considerable support if it is needed.
For the safety and convenience of vulnerable Hall Users the branch committee has therefore determined that several sensible measures are to be adopted by everyone using the Legion Hall:-
- No-one is to enter the Hall who has not been double-vaccinated, except for those medically excused (with certificate), or under 18s who have not yet been jabbed.
- Those experiencing Covid symptoms, who have a persistent cough, or isolating for any reason should not enter the Hall.
- On entry everyone is to wear a mask, register their entry and sanitise hands with the gel provided. Masks may be taken off when sitting down.
- Sensible spacing is to be adopted as far as possible within the indoor area, using a suitable table and chair layout. The committee room may be used for overspill.
- Occupancy levels are to be controlled to within sensible proportions in the Hall. A maximum of forty people may attend for any single session.
- Good ventilation is a key deterrent for the spread of the air-borne virus. Window lock keys are available in the kitchen to open all windows.
- Sanitising measures will be in place during each session to prevent infection.
- There will be a regular review of these safety measures, which will be relaxed as soon as the risk diminishes.
Forecast of Events
Thursday 2 September 2021 - First branch coffee morning.
Sunday 12 September 2021 - Battle of Britain Service, 1100 Town Memorial.
Thursday 23 September 2021 - Presentation by Rodney Atwood: “The Dorset Soldier Who Won the First World War”, followed by fish or chicken and chips.
Friday 24 September 2021 - Poppy Appeal Bingo - and every last Friday in the month
Friday 15 October 2021 - Affiliation Group Seminar, Legion Hall, 6-9 p.m.
Thursday 21 October 2021 - Presentation by Colonel (Retd) Nick Fox OBE: “Setting France Ablaze” - the first Special Operations Executive agent into France in World War Two. Followed by quiche and home-made coleslaw.
Saturday 30 October 2021 - Launch of Poppy Appeal
Thursday 11 November 2021- 11/11/11 service at Town Hall at 11 a.m.
Sunday 14 November 2021 - Remembrance Sunday. Service 11 a.m. at the Town Memorial. Marchers muster 10.30 at Kings Arms car park.
Thursday 18 November 2021 - Branch AGM 10.30 a.m.
Thursday 25 November 2021 - 12.30 p.m. Poppy Collectors Thank You Lunch, Legion Hall.
Thursday 2 December 2021 - Photo Fun Presentation after coffee.
Thursday 9 December 2021 - Christmas Draw, sherry, port, and mince pies at coffee morning.
Thursday 20 January 2022 - Presentation by General Chip Chapman: “Afghanistan: post withdraw - terror, tension and turmoil - should we care?”, followed by lasagne and coleslaw.
Sunday 23 January 2022 - Annual County Conference at Bovington, or online if restrictions apply.
Thursday 17 February 2022 - Presentation by Barry Brown: “Samuel Cunard” followed by Ploughman’s Lunch.
Thursday 17 March 2022 - Presentation by Jane Hutchings, Dorset Council Trading Standards: “Scams, and how to avoid them”, followed by fish or chicken and chips.
Monday 25 April 2022 - 107th anniversary of ANZAC Day. Short service at Park Walk Memorial at 11 a.m. Branch Standard.
Sunday 8 May 2022 - VE Day.
Saturday 25 June 2022 - Armed Forces day
Thursday 22 September 2022 - Presentation by Kate Saker on Dementia Awareness, followed by fish or chicken and chips.
Thursday 20 October 2022 - Presentation by our member David Taylor, on the Shaftesbury Tourist Information Centre, followed by quiche and home-made coleslaw.
Friday 18 November 2022 - Branch Centenary