Welcome to the Colston Bassett, Owthorpe and Cotgrave Branch of The Royal British Legion
COLSTON BASSETT, OWTHORPE and COTGRAVE BRANCH, ROYAL BRITISH LEGION – 2012 AGREED PLAN
1. Introduction. CBOC Branch had a very successful 2011, having recruited 32 new members (against a target of 20), raised over £1500 (against a target of £1000), attracted over 300 people to the Branch Poppy Party and raised an incredible £5376 during the Poppy Appeal. For 2012 the CBOC Strategy requires a plan to be written and presented to the AGM the year before the plan is due to be executed. The Draft 2012 Plan was presented to the AGM on 10 Oct 2011 and was endorsed by those present. This, the Final Plan was agreed by the Committee at the meeting on 3 Jan 2012.
2. Aim. The aim of this document is to provide a plan for CBOC business in 2012.
3. Objectives. Following the success of 2011 and the direction in the Strategy the CBOC objectives for 2012 are:
- Recruit 20 New Members. 20 is a small number given the Branch’s recruiting success. However the average age of the Branch members remains very high (67) and the number of those serving or ex-servicemen/servicewomen under the age of 60 is very low (7). Therefore of the 20 to be recruited at least 10 should be ex-servicemen/women under 60.
- Events and CBOC Gatherings.
- 26 Jan Thur – Gathering at Cotgrave Welfare
- 9 Mar Sat – Branch Supper at Notts G & CC (Raffle)
- 22 Mar Thur – Pub Lunch and visit to Loughborough University
- 8 Apr Sun – Support Martins Arms Easter Egg Rolling (Fundraising)
- 26 Apr Thur – Gathering & Pie Supper at Lime Kiln
- 31 May Thur – Gathering at Cotgrave Welfare
- 2/3 Jun Sat/Sun – Diamond Jubilee celebrations
- 30 Jun Sat – Cotgrave Festival of Sport Finale (Fundraising)
- 7 Jul Sat – BBQ Colston Bassett (Fundraising)
- 15 Sep Sat (tbc) – Visit to National Arboretum
- 11 Oct Thur - AGM and supper at the Lime Kiln
- 27/28 – Sat/Sun Oct Poppy Launch (Poppy Fundraising)
- 27/28 Oct and 3/4 Nov Sat/Sun – Poppy Collection (Poppy Fundraising)
- 9 Nov Fri – Support Notts G&CC Golf Match (Poppy Fundraising)
- 11 Nov Sun – Remembrance Sunday and Lunch at Notts G&CC (Poppy Raffle)
- 19 Dec Wed – Christmas Gathering
b. Fund Raising.
- Non Poppy Appeal. Raise £1000 outside the Poppy Appeal from raffles, quizzes, donations and the following activities:
- Egg Rolling at the Martins Arms. (President)
- Cream Tea in Cotgrave. (Secretary)
- BBQ at Colston Bassett Village Hall (Events members)
- Wellie wanging during Cotgrave Festival of Sport. (Chairman)
- Sponsored walk. (Chairman)
- Poppy Appeal. Involve as many members as possible in the Poppy Appeal activity. Raise £5000 from the Poppy Appeal.
c Maintain Awareness.
- Standard. Place the Standard in All Saints Church Cotgrave including a dedication service.
- Remembrance Sunday. Support all 3 village communities on 11 Nov. Parade with Cadets in Cotgrave.
- Web Sites. Develop further the Branch web site. Maximise the use of the Cotgrave Community web site.
- Use membership and networks to identify eligible and needy cases and provide welfare assistance.
- Maintain liaison with Cotgrave and Cropwell Bishop Medical Centres, the Police and Cotgrave Advice Centre.
- Maintain half yearly contact with all members over 80.
e. Structure. Identify individual members to play a greater part in the Branch activity.
f. Financial Control. Move all current members onto Direct Debit wherever possible. All new members are to be on Direct Debit.
4. CBOC Committee. The CBOC Committee for 2012 was voted in at the Oct 2011 AGM:
a. President: Gordon Gray
Chairman John Ludlam
Secretary Bryan Tansley
Treasurer Josie McGuirk
Events: Gilly Cross and Bert Wragg
Poppy Coordinator: Sheila Gray
Welfare: Mary Myles and Tony Alcock
5. Chairman’s Tasks.
- Coordinate the recruiting of 20 new members, 10 of which should be ex-servicemen under 60.
- Coordinate the CBOC Gatherings in Cotgrave Welfare.
- Identify 2 Guest speakers, one for the Annual Dinner and one for the AGM.
- Arrange to place the Standard in All Saints Church.
- Arrange Remembrance Sunday parade in Cotgrave.
- With the President and Maureen Cockayne arrange Remembrance Sundays in Colson Bassett and Owthorpe respectively.
- Write a newsletter twice each year, the first early in the new year and the second running up to the AGM.
- With David Myles maintain a CBOC web site and make maximum use of the Cotgrave Community web site in order to inform, recruit and retain.
6. Secretary’s Tasks.
- All secretarial work.
- With the Chairman plan, advertise, organise and coordinate the AGM.
- Provide the main conduit into CBOC from other organisations or individuals wishing involvement.
- Identify 2 replacement Standard Bearers.
- With the Poppy Coordinator run the Poppy Appeal in Cotgrave involving as many members as possible.
7. Treasurer’s Tasks.
- Maintain the accounts, present them for audit and then present them to the AGM.
- Comply with the RBL financial regulations and advise the committee on all financial matters.
- At the AGM advise the committee and members on the money available for donation and the maintenance of the Reserves.
- Act as banker for CBOC activities.
- Take over and run the mechanical counting machine.
8. Events Members’ Tasks.
- Plan, advertise, organise and run the Spring Supper and Remembrance Sunday lunch.
- Plan, advertise, organise and run those CBOC Gatherings not in Cotgrave Welfare.
- When required organise non social events such as visits.
9. Poppy Coordinator’s Tasks.
- Run all aspects of the Poppy Appeal forming a sub committee if required.
- Involve 10 new CBOC members.
10. Welfare Members’ Tasks.
- Increase liaison with the Medical Centre and Police.
- Identify welfare cases in Cotgrave and the outlying villages.
- Contact members over 80 each half year.
- Carry out welfare work in consultation with the remainder of the committee as necessary.
11. Coordination. The 2012 program will be coordinated through the CBOC Committee. One meeting will be held on 3 Jan in order to ensure all understand the plan and ask for assistance as necessary. One meeting will be held on 24 Sep at 2 pm to prepare the 2013 plan and coordinate effort for the AGM, Poppy Appeal and Remembrance events.