Welcome to the Colston Bassett, Owthorpe and Cotgrave Branch of The Royal British Legion
THE ROYAL BRITISH LEGION
COLSTON BASSETT, OWTHORPE AND COTGRAVE BRANCH
Members of the CBOC Committee
COLSTON BASSETT, OWTHORPE and COTGRAVE BRANCH, ROYAL BRITISH LEGION – 2010 PLAN
1. Introduction. The CBOC Strategy for 2010 to 2015 requires an annual costed plan to be written and presented to the AGM the year before the plan is due to be executed. As the strategy was written after the 09 AGM it is impossible to have a plan for 2010 endorsed in the correct timeframe. Nevertheless the views expressed at the AGM and at the CBOC Committee meeting on 2 Nov 09 allow a Plan for 2010 to be written retrospectively.
2. Aim. The aim of this document is to provide a costed plan for CBOC business in 2010.
3. Objectives. Following the direction in the Strategy the CBOC objectives for 2010 are:
- Recruit 20 new members.
- Run a program of events for members.
b. Fund Raising.
- Raise £1000 from a main fundraising event.
- Raise £2000 from the Poppy Appeal.
c Maintain Awareness.
· Support all 3 village communities on Remembrance Sunday.
· Support, and get support from the Army and Air Cadets.
· Maintain the relationship with the 2 Cotgrave schools.
- Direct funds primarily to support people.
- Identify and train 2 members to carry out welfare work.
- · Draw up, agree and execute a costed plan for each year.
- Elect a Communications Member and an Events Member.
- f. Financial Control.
- · Adhere to the financial regulations laid down by the RBL Charity.
- Liaise with the Cotgrave Council, the Broxtowe Council, Nottinghamshire RBL and Belvoir Vale, Bingham, Radcliffe and Keyworth Branches of the RBL.
- Identify the local ABF, RAFA, RNA and other veterans’ agencies.
4. Program for 2010. The program for 2010 is as follows:
- 17 March Annual Dinner
- 11 July Main fundraising event. A bbq+ at Colston Bassett Village Hall
- Late Sep Day trip to Reserve Forces and Mobilisation Centre, Chilwell
- 11 Oct AGM
- 1 Nov Poppy Appeal starts
- 14 Nov Remembrance Sunday parade, church service and lunch.
5. CBOC Committee. The CBOC Committee for 2010 consists of:
a. President Gordon Gray
Chairman John Ludlam
Secretary Bryan Tansley
Treasurer Roy Evley
Communications: Bert Wragg
Events: Gillie Cross
Poppy Coordinator: Sheila Gray
Welfare x 2: Yet to be recruited
6. Chairman’s Responsibilities.
- Draw up an annual plan for 2010. This be her.
- Identify a Communications member, an Events member and 2 Welfare members. [Afternote: Communications member is Bert Wragg and Events member is Gillie Cross. Welfare members required, one for Cotgrave and one for Colston Bassett and Owthorpe].
- Identify 2 Guest speakers, one for the Annual Dinner and one for the AGM. [Afternote: Annual Dinner will be Charles Hanson (Bargain Hunt)]
- Arrange for the Branch members to visit Reserve Training and Mobilisation Centre at the end of Sep 2010.
- Identify and speak to the Chairmen of the Belvoir Vale, Bingham, Radcliffe and Keyworth Branches of the RBL.
- Discuss affiliation with the Tollerton Squadron of the Air Training Corps.
- Discuss with the cadets support for CBOC events: Main Fundraising event, Poppy Appeal, Remembrance Parade, Standard Bearer.
- With the Secretary arrange the Remembrance Sunday Church Service and CBOC representation in all 3 communities. The main event will be at Colston Basset this year. Aim to attract 80% of members.
- With the Secretary attend the Nottinghamshire RBL AGM. [Afternote: Attended on 9 Jan]
- With the Communications member write a newsletter twice each year, the first early in the new year and the second running up to the AGM.
7. Secretary’s Responsibilities.
- Call in, prepare agendas for, organise and minute all meetings of the CBOC Committee and the AGM.
- Distribute CBOC communications as necessary.
- Maintain relations with the Cotgrave Town Council, the Broxtowe council and the two schools in Cotgrave. Organise one presentation (Nov) by members to the each school.
- Arrange for the training of the Welfare Members when they have been identified.
- Arrange training for the cadet standard bearers when they have been identified.
- Identify the local ABF, RAFA, RNA and other veterans’ agencies.
- Provide the main conduit into CBOC from other organisations or individuals wishing involvement.
- With the Communications Member maintain the members database.
- Until Welfare Members are recruited and trained identify welfare cases through liaison with County RBL, Councils, Police, Health Centres and Church Ministers.
- With the Chairman arrange the Remembrance Sunday Church Service and CBOC representation in all 3 communities. The main event will be at Colston Basset this year. Aim to attract 80% of members.
- With the Chairman attend the Nottinghamshire RBL AGM. [Afternote: Attended on 9 Jan]
8. Treasurer’s Responsibilities.
- Maintain the accounts.
- Present the accounts for audit.
- Present the accounts to the AGM.
- Act as banker for CBOC activity.
- Maintain the RBL financial regulations.
- Maximise interest on CBOC funds.
- Advise the committee on all financial matters.
- Encourage and where necessary arrange new members Direct Debits.
9. Communications Member’s Responsibilities.
- Provide a communications strategy for external communications with a view of attracting 20 new members.
- Provide a communications strategy for internal communications with a view of retaining members.
- Provide and execute a communications plan for 2010.
- Introduce an RBL templated CBOC web site to inform those outside CBOC and retain those inside.
- Identify communications outlets and utilise them to advertise CBOC. For example the Cotgrave web site and the All Saints ‘Cross’ magazine. Request ‘copy’ from members.
- Provide RBL Branded business cards for all Committee members.
- With the Secretary maintain the members database.
- With the Secretary identify members’ e-mail addresses and preferences for communications.
- With the Events member advertise events to CBOC members and, for the main fundraising event, to the public.
- With the Poppy Coordinator advertise poppy sales.
10. Events Member’s Responsibilities.
- Plan, organise and, with the Communications member, advertise the Annual Dinner. Aim should be to attract a minimum attendance of 40 people.
- Form a sub committee to plan, organise and, with the Communications member, advertise the main fundraising event; a bbq+ at the Colston Bassett Village Hall. Aim should be to attract over 100 people and make £1000.
- Plan, organise and, with the Communications member, advertise the Remembrance Sunday lunch. The church service will be in Colston Bassett.
11. Poppy Coordinator’s Responsibilities.
- Run all aspects of the Poppy Appeal forming a sub committee if required.
- Involve 10 CBOC members.
- Incorporate the cadets if they are to be available.
- Write thank you letters on behalf of the Chairman.
12. Welfare Members.
- Train in welfare work.
- Identify welfare cases through liaison with County RBL, Councils, Police, Health Centres and Church Ministers.
- Carry out welfare work in consultation with the remainder of the committee as necessary.
- Form a sub committee with members from Colston Bassett, Owthorpe and Cotgrave as necessary.
13. Coordination. The2010 program will be coordinated through the CBOC Committee. One meeting will be held in Jan in order to ensure all understand the plan and ask for assistance as necessary. One meeting will be held in Sep to prepare the 2011 plan and coordinate effort for the AGM and Remembrance events. The Secretary will call members to meetings with as much notice as possible.
Colonel (Retired) T J LUDLAM OBE
CBOC Committee RBL