Welcome to the Boxted Branch of The Royal British Legion
The Boxted branch of the Royal British Legion was formed in 1935 by ex-servicemen of the 1st World War. The first President was Capt. G.H. Swift who lived at Cheshunts in Church Street. Col. Guy Blewitt was the first chairman with Mr T.F.Alderton as the original secretary.
Their major remit was to help ex-servicemen with their health and pension problems. Committee meetings were held in the Priory Hall which acted as the village hall at the time. Committee members paid 6 pence (2½p) each meeting towards the purchase of bricks to build the hut. Members subscription was half a crown – 2/6d (12½p).
The hut was built from 2 Nissun huts bought from the POW camp at Wrabness for £30 each. Mr Geater, who ran the garage in the village, transported the huts free of charge while Col. Waller, who lived at Boxted Lodge, sold a 50 year lease on the land to the Legion for a peppercorn rent. The hut was finally opened in 1948 when a small bottle of beer cost 9d while a large brown ale was 1/8d. The hut was heated by two tortoise stoves – one in the middle and the other at the far end. Beer was supplied by Ind, Coope and Allsopp who also provided the chairs for the hut.