Welcome to the Market Weighton Branch of The Royal British Legion
Market Weighton, formerly Wicstun, is between Beverley and York
on the A1079. It is a small, busy market town with a growing
population. The town's history is well documented on the worldwide
web; search for "wicstun" and "Market Weighton in Bloom".
The branch has been in existence since April 1929. Indeed, our
two elder surviving members were aged ten at that time. It was set
up to cater for the local ex-Service population in a 40 foot by 40
foot zinc prefab building. The facilities were naturally limited by
today's standards but good for the time, with two full size snooker
tables, card and domino tables and a small table top bar serving
bottles with not a hint of a pump, draught beers or other tapped
refreshments. Card games included Brag or Solo. For those who
have visited the present Market Weighton Social Club you may
recognize the site as that of the current stage and part of the
downstairs function room.
Details from this point are vague and not well documented. The
property was sold on until in May 1962 it became the property of
the Market Weighton Social Club Ltd.
To obtain this history the senior members of the branch came
together and reminisced. They recalled the personalities, far too
many to list, many of whom have done sterling work for the branch
and its membership. Some of these personnel are:
Charlie Ullyot (founder member), Mr Ricketson (founder member),
Charlie Allinson, Frank Donkin (pre 1940) and George Martin (post
1940) and Sammy Fawkingham, the first stewards. Indeed, Harry
Martin, the son of George, a current branch member, continues to
represent the family. The late Ernie Warters was branch
President for six years to 1991 and the late Sqn Ldr John
Ross was a former President and Vice President.
Many of the current membership have served as officers of the
branch and the membership are often unaware of their commitment and
dedication. There are those who are sadly no longer amongst us: one
such person, believed to be the longest serving of our branch
secretaries, Mervyn Hagston, after sixteen years in office now
rests in peace.
On 18 November 1999, the Pocklington Post reported that The
Deputy Lord Lieutenant of the East Riding of Yorkshire, Sir Ian
MacDonald of Sleat, presented the Gold Badge to Terry Wood and
branch life memberships to Sqn Ldr John Ross, Ernie Warters,
Bernard Manning, Harry Martin and Eric Octoby.
If you have any further information to add to the history of
this branch please contact the Branch Secretary.