Welcome to the Leigh Branch of The Royal British Legion
Dear Fellow Club / Branch Members,
ROYAL BRITISH LEGION GRAND PILGRIMAGE 90 (GP90) EVENT - OPPORTUNITY TO REPRESENT LEIGH & DISTRICT
1. As mentioned at the Branch AGM before Christmas, there is an opportunity for two members to represent the Branch at the GP90 event in August this year. Whilst we have had some expressions of interest from members already we thought it only fair to ensure that any MEMBER who would like to be considered has an opportunity to apply.
2. The event is to mark the 90th anniversary of the original Great Pilgrimage to the Western Front battlefields in 1928. The RBL nationally is encouraging all branches to send two representatives, a standard bearer and a wreath layer on this expenses-paid 5 day tour. Leigh Branch has decided to participate and will be funding the £1,000 cost of the trip for our two representatives which covers travel, meals, hotel accommodation and insurance. The itinerary is as follows:
* 5th August: Local departure by coach from your selected joining point, then to the port of Dover for the P&O Ferry crossing to Calais. We then continue to our hotel in Belgium or Northern France for a four-night stay.
* *6th August: Ypres Day. Visits to the following; In Flanders Fields Museum, Tyne Cot Ceremony, Passchendaele Memorial Museum, Messines and Hill 60.
* *7th August: Somme Day. Visits to the following; Thiepval Memorial, Ulster Tower, Vimy Memorial, Arras Memorial, Delville Wood.
* 8th August: Great Pilgrimage 90 event.
* 9th August: Depart after breakfast and travel to Calais and the P&O Ferry crossing to Dover and return to your original joining point.
This is a fabulous opportunity not only to represent our Branch and our community but also to enjoy a fascinating and moving guided tour of the Western Front battlefields. For more information take a look at the RBL website.
3. Anyone considering expressing interest should be aware of the following factors:
* Attendees will be expected to participate in the whole programme including the culminating parade with standards and wreath laying on 8th August in Ypres.
* The event will be physically demanding, especially the Menin Gate parade in Ypres.
* One of each Branch’s two representatives will be required to be formally trained as a standard bearer on one or more of the following course dates: 18th March, 29th April, 3rd June, 15th July - to be held at the British Legion Village. Uniforms will also be inspected. This is a non-negotiable stipulation for attendance.
* Hotel accommodation for the tour will be in shared twin hotel rooms.
4. For more information please visit www.rbl.org.uk/gp90<http://www.rbl.org.uk/gp90> and / or talk to a Branch Committee member.
5. The closing date for providing our nominees to the organisers is the end of May but we would like to have decided on our representation well before that. Therefore:
IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE CONSIDERED AS ONE OF LEIGH’S GP90 REPRESENTATIVES PLEASE APPLY IN WRITING (EMAIL WILL DO) TO ROB PENN, BRANCH SECRETARY AT Robpenn24@gmail.com<mailto:Robpenn24@gmail.com>
NO LATER THAN 31ST MARCH 2018, EXPLAINING IN A FEW WORDS WHY WOULD LIKE TO GO AND CONFIRMING THAT YOU HAVE READ ALL THE RELEVANT MATERIAL ON THE RBL WEBSITE AND AGREE TO FULFILLING THE REQUIREMENTS INCLUDING THOSE LISTED UNDER 3. ABOVE. PLEASE STATE WHETHER YOU ARE VOLUNTEERING AS STANDARD BEARER, WREATH LAYER OR EITHER.