Welcome to the Hawkhurst Branch of The Royal British Legion
This information was mainly extracted from the Diamond Jubilee publication, 1925 to 1985.
In 1921 Earl Hiag was urging the four then existing ex-service associations to merge and form The British Legion.
The Hawkhurst Branch was first established by a small band of men in 1921.
Meetings were held at Cricketers Arms until in 1925 when they managed to obtain an old Army hut from Romney Marsh, this was dismantled and re-erected on a leased site in The High Street. the date of founding British legion Club(Hawkhurst) Ltd was the 22nd October 1925.
The opening ceremony was by the British Legion President, Gen Doran. followed by a Smoking Concert. this days events was reported in the Legions National Journal.
A Snooker Room, was added to the hut in 1927. finaced by money raising efforts and an interest free loan of £300.
In 1931 the purchase of our present site was completed and plans were made for a larger permanent clubhouse, our club had 900 Members then, the new clubroom and a larger Snooker Room was opened on Armistce Day 1932.
We have recently upgraded our Function Room, with its own Bar, Stage Area and a Food Preparation Room.
This is available to Members for our own functions and private events organised by our Members.
A Car park is at the rear, accessed by the drive next to Barclays Bank.