Welcome to the Gnosall & District Branch of The Royal British Legion
Gnosall & District Branch
The Royal British Legion 1936 - 2011
The Gnosall & District Branch was first established in 1936 in Haughton and was subsequently named Haughton & District Branch. Due to low membership in Haughton and surrounding areas the Branch was moved to Gnosall and then was renamed Gnosall & District Branch. When Woodseaves Branch disbanded, Gnosall & District Branch took up the remaining membership from Woodseaves and their original Branch area. In 2011 Gnosall & District Branch celebrated their 75th anniversary of the original formation.
Our Branch area of responsibility stretches from in the west, the Staffordshire/ Shropshire County border to in the east the village of Bradley. From Woodseaves in the north to the old Wheaton Aston Airfield in the south. Gnosall is approximately 7 miles from the County Town of Stafford in the east and 5 miles from the Town of Newport in the west. The Village of Gnosall is one of the largest villages in England although split in two Gnosall Heath and the main centre of Gnosall are generally all classed as one. In the centre of Gnosall we have an 11th century church which is always worth a visit. The 'Lock up' is an old stone cell used to lock up people that were out of control; this was in use before the days of the modern day police force.