Welcome to the Carlisle and Stanwix Branch of The Royal British Legion
GRID REF: NY54935 57266 Postcode CA8 1LF
Talkin Church War Memorial
This small place of worship was erected in 1852 through the benefice of Thomas Henry Graham, of Edmond Castle, as a Chapel of Ease of the Parish Church of St Mary Magdalene at Hayton, near Brampton. A Chapel of Ease, intended to bring the Church closer to remote communities was a commom feature of the more scattered Episcopalian (C of E) parishes. Talkin Chapel became a church with its own parish in 2008. There is no burial ground here; burials were at St Mary Magdalene, at Hayton. However there was a period when the parish used the cemetery at Old Church Brampton because "lawlessness caused difficulty in getting to Hayton".
Of the many young men of the district who went to war most were employed in the various local coal and mineral ore mines and in agriculture.
Two of the worshippers of this Chapel did not survive the war.
Pte Thomas William Hogg, who was born at Hayton, died at home of wounds on 1st September 1916. He was 22 years old and serving with 11th Bn Border Regiment. Thomas, the son of Joseph and Mary Jane Hogg, of Talkin, is interred in the churchyard of St Mary Magdalene at Hayton.
Pte Robert Carr Pelter had worked with his parents Thomas and Mary Pelter on their smallholding at Ash Tree Farm at Talkin. He had been born at South Shields and was married to Selina, of 23 North Parade, Whitley Bay. Robert died at the age of 27 on 12th November 1918, while serving with 1/11th Bn London Regiment, Kings Royal Rifle Corps. He is interred in Cairo War Memorial Cemetery, in grave Q91.