Welcome to the Carlisle and Stanwix Branch of The Royal British Legion
GRID REF: NY41043 55921 Postcode CA1 1EE
St Aidan's Church, Warwick Road, Carlisle
WW1 Memorial - (external) - A timber crucifix with shelter on a 3-tiered stone base with names and inscription.
WW1 and WW2 Memorials - Wall panels and a Book of Remembrance within the Church.
The Parish Church of St Aidan, on Warwick Road, Carlisle, is another of those places which has adopted, and now maintains, the War Memorial of another building.
The Memorial which stands in the small garden by the roadway here was removed from Christchurch, which was on Botchergate Carlisle. Needing repairs that church building was demolished in 1953. The congregation joined with St Aidan’s. The memorial is a two stepped octagonal base supporting a wooden shaft and a gabled Calvary Cross.
The inscription on the base is: “REST ETERNAL GRANT THEM O LORD”, followed by the names of the Fallen:-
JAMES M. ABBOT
THOMAS W BARWISE
ARTHUR A. CARTMELL
HUGH A. CARTMELL
JOHN T. CUNNINGHAM
WILLIAM S. CURTIS
JOHN B. DALTON
ROBERT J. DIXON
LESLIE D. HATHERLEY
ARTHUR T. HEWITT
RICHARD J. GRAHAM
WILLIAM J. HODGSON
WILLIAM R. LITTLE
JOHN G. MATTINSON
WILLIAM J. MILBURN
JOHN G. MOFFAT
THOMAS W. MOFFAT
HENRY L. PARRY
ANTHONY S. TAYLOR
THOMAS R. THOMPSON
Within the Church of St Aidan are two wall mounted Memorials or Rolls of Honour. The larger one, a wooden panel with two doors bearing the same names as on the external Memorial is believed to have been brought from Christchurch at the same time as the external Memorial . It is listed in the closing Inventory of Christchurch.
Just underneath the wooden panel from Christchurch is this Roll of Honour, in a gilt glazed frame. It is believed this was placed here in the 1980’s.