Where is the Royal British Legion Brussels Branch holding Remembrance in 2021?
Following a COVID-enforced pause, we shall return to the beautiful Commonwealth War Graves Commission Cemetery, at Heverlee. Lying just to the south of Leuven, this is the final resting place of 983 service men and women from seven Nations and from both World Wars.
Who can come?
All are welcome to join us for an Act of Remembrance in the presence of the UK Ambassador to Belgium, HE Mr Martin Shearman. We hope to be joined by representatives from all the nations with personnel laid to rest in the cemetery. We are also delighted to be joined by the Military Wives Choir, a piper and a bugler - a real treat.
What time do I need to arrive?
The service will start just after 1030. We recommend arriving before 1030.
The cemetery is always open and therefore anybody who arrives early will be able to take a moment of reflection.
What should I wear?
Your presence is more important than your dress. Serving personnel are invited to wear uniform. Medals may be worn as appropriate. We advise dressing for November weather - it can get cold and damp!
Will there be seating?
We will provide seating with priority given to our veterans and senior visitors.
I would like to lay a wreath - can you help?
People and organisations are welcome to lay wreathes. We can supply wreathes - just let us know so we bring enough supplies. Please contact email@example.com
Can I plant a tribute?
We will provide crosses, sticks and Stars of David for those who wish to plant a personal tribute to the fallen.
Will there be a collection?
For those who wish to donate, there will be collecting tins for the Poppy Appeal.
Where can I find out more details?
For any questions, please contact our Events Coordinator, Phil Hyde. firstname.lastname@example.org
What are the COVID measures?
Noting the changing regulations, be reassured we will employ the fullest measures in place at the time of the event. We will update the measures closer to the event.
How do I get there?
Follow the instructions below or print them here
- Head East on E40 towards Leuven
- Leave E40 at Exit 23a Haasrode-Research to merge onto Expresweg/N25 toward Bierbeek/Haasrode-Research (550m)
- At the roundabout, take the 1st exit onto Meerdaalboslaan/N25 (450m)
- Turn left at the Volvo Dealership onto Neringenweg (69m)Continue onto Ambachtenlaan (69m)
- Turn right to stay on Ambachtenlaan (500m)
- [Do not go straight onto Bierbeekpleindreef as the road is immediately blocked by bollards]
- Instead, turn right then immediately left fork onto Hertogstraat (900m)
- You will now be passing a military base on your left
- Turn left onto Kerspelstraat (900m)
- You are now heading south and the CWGC cemetery is at the end of this straight road.
- Parking is available on either the western or northern sides of the CWGC cemetery, by pulling clear off the road.
How can I share this with others?
Please do print and share this poster to spread the news. Thank you x