An important notice to all members
SPECIAL GENERAL MEETING
8 P.M. MONDAY 30TH APRIL 2018
ROYAL BRITISH LEGION SOCIAL CLUB
As announced in last month’s Cresset the Social Club Committee have begun the process of ascertaining whether the social club membership as a whole are in favour of disaffiliation from The Royal British Legion.
Some of the reasons to support disaffiliation were listed in last month’s Cresset, and these are purely financial. It was explained that we will continue to be happy to support TRBL by hosting branch meetings at the club, facilitating the poppy appeal from the club and by supporting any fundraising activities.
The Special General Meeting will be for the purpose of disaffiliation only and no other business will be discussed.
On Tuesday 17th April and Wednesday 25th April committee members will be at the club from 19.30 to 21.00 hours for any members who would like to discuss the future of the club on a one-to-one basis.
Ballot papers will be delivered to all members between the 7th April and 16th April and must be returned to the club on or by 8 p.m. on the 30th April and placed in the ballot box in the main hall.
75% of the total membership need to vote for disaffiliation in order to pass the motion. Any ballot papers not returned will count as a vote against.
YOUR VOTE REALLY DOES COUNT
Following a motion presented to the members present at the AGM, the majority voted by over 95% for the Social Club to begin the process of disaffiliation from The Royal British Legion (TRBL). A process which is controlled by the rules of TRBL. The committee’s reasons for this decision are financial and are vital for the future of the Club:-
- Two years ago The RBL stopped collecting the social club fees and this together with the loss of St James's Branch members for the same reason, resulted in our annual subscriptions reducing from over £8,500 to less than £500 last year.
- Many people believe part, if not all, of their £17 annual subscription to TRBL comes back to the social club. In fact the Social club does not receive any of it. On top of this, last year the club paid The RBL £392 just to be affiliated.
- In the last financial year the social club made a loss of £4,700 and we need to take action now.
- The Clear financial benefit of setting Social Club subscriptions which come to the club.
- The opportunity and flexibility for members independently to continue or not as TRBL members.
- The opportunity for the Social Club to update its image to relate more to the Bottisham Community as a whole.
- The reformed Community Social Club will still be happy to support TRBL by hosting Branch meetings at the club, organising the poppy appeal from the club and by supporting any fund raising activities.
In April all fully paid up Social Club members will receive a ballot paper together with a letter fully explaining the situation and it is vital that each member completes and returns it. In order to disaffiliate, 75% of the total membership must vote in favour and any ballot papers not returned will count as a vote against. Your vote does count.
Dates for the ballot and SGM will be in next month’s Cresset.
Line Dancing every Wednesday (except the first Wednesday in the month.)
Bingo every 1st and 3rd Sunday
Mon-Thurs 5-11pm : Fri 5-12pm : Sat-11.45-12pm : Sun 12.-11pm
(Sunday may close at 10pm with the discretion of the staff on duty)
All live premier league games & Sky sports are shown at the club
FOR DETAILS OF WHAT'S ON THIS MONTH AT THE SOCIAL CLUB, SEE THE WHAT'S ON PAGE UNDER SOCIAL CLUB INFORMATION
DON'T FORGET THE REGULAR ACTIVITIES FOR YOU TO JOIN IN AND ENJOY
Darts / Pool / Snooker / Billiards / Cribbage / Dominoes / Bar billiards
Are you having a celebration?
Are you looking for a business meeting venue?
Is your society or Club looking for a friendly place to meet?
If so, the Hall and Poppy Lounge room is available to hire for all your functions
call in and speak to Kate or ring the Secretary on 812063